Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Review: Across the Nightingale Floor


I recently read Across the Nightingale Floor by Liam Hearn. It is the first in a series of books known as Tales of the Otori. The series, if I'm not mistaken, was meant to be a trilogy, but was so well received that a fourth book was written. Afterwards, Liam ended up wrapping everything together, Star Wars style, by releasing the prequel called "Heaven's Net Wide."

I have not read the others yet, but am very excited to do so. The first book maintained an air of historical competence and mystery that fueled my own love for ancient Japan. The main character, a young man named Takeo, accidentally falls into a journey that brings him to the brink of death and back again as he consorts with assassins and royal samurai alike in an attempt to discover himself and bring down a warlord of a neighboring land. This book doesn't just appeal to the side of me that secretly wants to live in Japan, but also reaches my heart as a budding love story begins in the first novel.

So, bottom line time:

Read this IF

1. You enjoy anything Asian (Especially Japanese)
2. You enjoy fantasy based fiction
3. You are secretly an assassin and want to know more
4. You enjoy forbidden romance (Cuz, when it's allowed it just isn't as fun)

4 comments:

Tere Kirkland said...

Wow, this book sounds right up my alley! Thanks for a great review!

Voidwalker said...

Ah, you must be the secret Assassin then? Awesome. Yes, I hope you enjoy it.

Stephanie Thornton said...

I took a class last spring on East Asia so I'm definitely interested in Japanese novels. I'll have to check this one out and add it to the pile!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I have been meaning to read this for awhile now I'll have to get after it.